Blue Topaz or Aquamarine?

>> Thursday, November 19, 2009

Once I got back down to the bottom of the mountain (hill), I went back to the faceted gemstone seller and asked for a piece of Blue Topaz rough (I will call it this, in deference to her :). She sold me a light blue-green stone for five dollars.

I took it back to Phnom Penh with me and did some digging in my books. Along the right had side of this post are some views of this piece of crystal. I don't have the ability to measure its specific gravity or reflective index (that would put to rest the question easily), but I can list some arguments in favor and against it being Aquamarine based on what I learned or could see.

1) Aquamarine is not ruled out by its color, nor is Topaz. Both stones occur naturally in low saturated blue-green colored gems. On color it could be either.

2) Topaz and Aquamarine are known to occur in the same geologic setting, so there would be nothing surprising about Aquamarine being found in a location where mostly Topaz had been found until now. In fact Aquamarine is often found with Rock Crystal and with Smoky Quartz as Topaz is here. Nothing to rule out Aquamarine here.

3) The gem sellers all say that this light blue stone is more difficult to cut than is Quartz (there never was a question of whether this was quartz, quartz does not occur naturally in blue). They could not say if faceting the stone was more difficult or easier than for Topaz. The ones who believe that this stone is naturally occuring blue Topaz say that cutting is the same as cutting Topaz itself. If it were Aquamarine, it would be harder than Quartz, but possibly as hard as Topaz. Nothing determinative here. Easy to see why the cutters cannot tell. (Mohs is a 10-point scale and a standard gemological standard for measuring relative hardness. Diamond is 10.0.)

Quartz (Mohs=7.0); Aquamarine (7.5-8.0); Topaz (8.0)

4) To my mostly untrained eye, the crystal form of the stone appears to be hexagonal. If I am right, that might in and of itself rule out the orthorhombic Topaz.

5) The piece of crystal rough that I bought has striations parrallel to the long axis of the crystal. Both Aquamarine and Topaz are known to display that, though most of the Topaz crystal rough I saw at this site (and bought on a previous visit)  had been worn and pitted by their travel to a final alluvial deposit. On the other hand, and contradictorily, a lot of the quartz was so finely formed and unmarked that the gemstone dealers talked about how it looked as if it had been hand cut and polished!

So, until I can get the specific gravity of this stone measured (Aquamarine: 2.63 - 2.91, Topaz: 3.5 - 3.6, strangely different sources vary in the numbers they provide), or measure the refractive index on a cut stone, I may be out of moves.

Unless. Unless I go back and look at two cut stones, one clear and clearly Topaz, and the other light blue, same cut, same carat weight, and see if the Topaz is smaller (higher specific gravity).

Or. Or, ask for two stones that look to be the same physical size (volume) and see if the blue one has a lower carat weight.

Yeah. Yeah, I think that is what I will do. And if it appears to be Aquamarine, I will buy me a couple of stones. You should see the international retail prices for good color stones. :)

6 comments:

Unknown August 9, 2014 at 10:14 PM  

Hi, I am Duy Pham. I am a colector and trader all kind of semi precious stone. I am living in Hochimibh city,Vietnam. If you have any interested stone you can send offer to me. My email: duypham6868@yahoo.com
hope to hear from you soon.

best regards

Unknown August 9, 2014 at 10:19 PM  

Agalmatolie stone

My clients finding this stone ,Agalmatolite stone. And I see that this stone have mine in Kâmpóng Chhnăng Province. Do you know this province?
If you can find I will buy a lót from you. And please do that urgently because I have clients here. They can pay price from usd 5000/ ton of this stone if color like file I attached.
Note: this stone very soft and not precious but maybe beautiful color and easy for carving.
Hope to hear from you.
Best regards
Duypham
duypham6868@yahoo.com
call: +84938849886

Unknown October 1, 2014 at 1:32 PM  

Decent design by Tom Kanchanasinith

"The space for the kitchen was not large, and the design had to reflect the homeowners' contemporary lifestyle," said designer Tom Kanchanasinith of the featured kitchen design, as delivered by trustworthy construction in Cambodia construction materials.
"As they prefer eating meals casually in the kitchen, I created dual-purpose benchtops, with a glass table positioned flush with the workbench. Glass is chosen for its transparency; it extends the sense of space."
"Aluminum and stainless steel provide visual highlights in the kitchen and help reflect light. The timber veneer cabinets lend a sense of depth and contrast against the white walls and benchtops," stated the designer.

Unknown February 8, 2016 at 2:53 PM  
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown February 8, 2016 at 2:54 PM  

Hi! Duypham, what type of jam stone do you want? I do a jam stone business! I am from pakistan living in cambodia!
Can contact: zakirhussainthana@gmail.com
+923419023122

Hindu Temple Stores October 1, 2021 at 4:10 AM  


Thanks for sharing with us

We also provide the Puja Thaali, yantra, Rudraksha, brass statues of Hindu Gods and goddesses including Nataraja, Ganesha , Krishna, Vishnu, Saraswati.
For more informartion please visit our site:
Hindutemplestores

Statistics


View My Stats

  © Free Blogger Templates Autumn Leaves by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP